Letters to Editor

To the Editor

LETTERS: Forward your letters to ngaire.soley@fairfaxmedia.com.au or via www.grenfellrecord.com.au.

LETTERS: Forward your letters to ngaire.soley@fairfaxmedia.com.au or via www.grenfellrecord.com.au.

My name is Bec Elliott-Brand and I am looking for family connections in the Grenfell area.

My great grandmother was born in Grenfell as Ellen Carroll who was a twin to Patrick Carroll born in 1894. Her father was William Carroll and mother was Anne Carroll (nee Macdonell).

I am after any information possible in regards to the family and if there are many relatives still in Grenfell. I can be contacted via email at beccy1975@hotmail.com for anyone who may be able to assist.

Thankyou

Bec Elliott-Brand

***********************

Dear Editor,

Aussies are besotted with renovating.  We’re infatuated with DIY lifestyle programs and the plethora of decorator products designed to excite the renovator in us. 

But what happens when we ignore the risks and don’t take the warnings about asbestos seriously? 

We could be risking our lives and the lives of our loved ones if deadly asbestos fibres are inhaled.

Asbestos-related diseases are not a thing of the past. 

Every 14 hours, 1 Australian loses their life to mesothelioma. 

Every 13 hours another 13 families receive the tragic news that a loved one has the disease that will take their life, usually within months. 

All too often I’ve heard people say that they don’t worry about the warnings, that they don’t think it will affect them, that they’re bullet-proof when it comes to asbestos. 

Well, with one-in-every-three homes containing asbestos in some form or another, homeowners and tradies could be risking their lives and the lives of families (even their kids) if they don’t take the warnings seriously.

Asbestos could be lurking in any home built or renovated before 1987 including brick, weatherboard, clad and fibro homes.  

Asbestos was used in the manufacture of hundreds of products and if these products are disturbed during renovations, that’s when fibres can be inhaled and can kill.

Death from asbestos is not a thing of the past.

While we don’t know how many fibres it takes, what we do know is that the more fibres inhaled, the greater the risk to our health.

Today, asbestos remains one of the greatest health threats to families and tradespeople who disturb asbestos during renovations and maintenance. 

We must stop the ongoing tragic loss of Australian lives.

Every Australian needs to know that when it comes to asbestos, they’ve got to go slow, because asbestos is a NO GO!

Visit the website at asbestosawareness.com.au to learn what you need to know!

Sincerely,

John Jarratt – 

Ambassador 

Asbestos Awareness

Month Campaign

************************

PLEASE NOTE: For information regarding asbestos disposal within the Weddin Shire contact Weddin Shire Council’s Director of Environmental Services, Brendan Hayes on 02 6343 1212.