Rugby Union in Grenfell has been played on and off for over 140 years. During this time over 1000 players have helped Grenfell Rugby become what it is today. Rugby was played in the area from the 1870s until the 1920s before league was introduced and the code slowly declined. Grenfell Rugby Union was reformed in 1956. In 1957 the All Blacks played in Grenfell against South West, Grenfell was represented by G Pattrick, T Fanning and Bob and Brian Bembrick.
Grenfell was again without rugby in 1958 when zones changed and distance brought the club undone. The Bembrick brothers instigated the rebirth of the club in 1967 in the Central West Zone. South West reformed in 1968 and Grenfell won its first premiership the same year, followed by premierships to first and reserve grades in 1972 and 1974. It was also in 1974 that the club purchased their home ground and named it R.B. Bembrick Field. The club won a further two premierships in the 70s and won the 1987 cup before a huge year in 1988 winning the NSW Country Championship. The team played 24 matches in 24 weeks scoring 683 points for with only 113 points against. The 1990s saw Grenfell completely dominate with 10 straight premierships. The 21st century saw a change of direction as South West and Riverina combined to form Southern Inland Rugby comprising of 20 clubs. In 2000 and 2002 the Panthers won the 2nd grade premiership and in 2010 they took out the 1st grade premiership. In 2009 the second story of the clubhouse was completed and is currently well utilised by members and visitors.