The son of Australian swim star Ian Thorpe's former coach has been granted bail in Sydney over 57 charges relating to allegations he was a "predator" who sexually abused 11 boys.
Paul Douglas Frost, 43, has been in custody since his arrest at his Sylvania home last week.
He was initially charged with 10 offences, including aggravated sexual assault against two boys aged between 11 and 16.
The alleged attacks occurred between 1997 and 2001 at the now-closed Doug Frost Swim School in Padstow, established by the accused man's father.
On Thursday, Frost was hit with an additional 47 charges after nine more people came forward to allege he abused them at the swim school between 1997 and 2009.
Court documents reveal Frost is accused of abusing the boys while he was their swimming coach.
The charges include instances of aggravated sexual assault, where Frost is alleged to have had sexual intercourse with boys under the age of 16.
He's also accused of placing his hand inside the swimmers of one student, swimming naked with another, and exposing another to indecent material and giving him alcohol in order to procure him for a sexual act.
Magistrate Chris McRobert granted Frost conditional bail in Sutherland Local Court on Thursday, despite the additional matters and what he called a strong prosecution case.
"Don't push your luck on it," Mr McRobert warned Frost.
Frost appeared from Silverwater jail via audio-visual link.
Earlier, his barrister Sebastian De Brennan told the court people had been "falling over themselves" to provide his client with character references.
He said the references came from parents and teaching colleagues and would help protect his client from police attempts to paint him as a "predator".
"These sorts of allegations, people are reluctant to go in to bat for people if they think children are at risk," Mr De Brennan said.
He said his client had lost two teaching positions since being charged, noting he had filed for bankruptcy in 2016 after a failed catering venture off the back of his appearance in a MasterChef TV series.
He argued his client had a financial responsibility to help support his wife and family, and proposed bail conditions that were "tantamount to house arrest".
He also suggested there was a possibility of "concoction" or "collusion" between victims.
However, the police prosecutor pointed out the complainants had, without knowing each other, made similar claims to police.
Mr McRobert agreed, saying the likelihood the 11 alleged victims had concocted their stories was low.
He released Frost on a $10,000 surety and strict bail conditions. Frost is due to next appear at Bankstown Local Court on October 9.
Australian Associated Press