Pussy Cat, Pussy Cat where have you been?

Weddin Shire Council would like to advise all cat owners of the following: Under the Companion Animals Act 1998 Section 29 – *A cat must have a form of identification that enables an authority to ascertain the name of the cat and the owners name and address details. This may be done by any of the following means: (a) A microchip (b) A collar worn around the cats neck with tag attached (c)Any other form prescribed by the Regulation. Section 30 –  Cats are prohibited in the following areas: (a) Food preparation/consumption areas (b)Wildlife protection areas.

Section 31 – A cat may be declared by Council as a Nuisance if the cat: (a) makes a noise that persistently occurs or continues to such a degree that it interferes with the peace, comfort or convenience of any other person in any other premises or (b)Repeatedly damages anything outside the property on which the cat is ordinarily kept.

It is an offence not to comply with the above mentioned Sections. Failure to comply may enable Council taking further action by issuing a Penalty Infringement Notice, Issuing an Order and/or impounding the cat.

Section 32 – (1)   Any person may lawfully seize a cat that is found in a Wildlife Protection Area if that action is reasonable and necessary for the protection of any person or animal (other than vermin) from injury or death. (2) If a cat that is not under control of some competent person enters any Inclosed Land (within the meaning of the Inclosed Lands Act 1901) and approaches any animal being farmed on the land, the occupier of the land or any person authorised by the occupier, can lawfully injure or destroy the cat if it is reasonably believed that the cat will molest, attack or cause injury to any of those animals.

Stray, unidentified, wild and feral cats are problematic in the Weddin Shire. To further assist with the management of cats consider the following if you are the owner of a cat: *Desex your cat if you are not a registered breeder (this means being a member of an approved association such as ANCI). *Purchase an outside cattery to keep your cat contained that can be erected on your private property. *Fit your cat with a collar and bell to help protect wildlife. *Keep your cat indoors at all times. If you have any questions please contact Council’s Ranger on 6343 1540.