At approximately 7pm on Tuesday, October 25, an 85 year-old Quandialla woman was gardening when she was bitten on the hand by a brown snake.
Fortunately a pressure bandage was applied immediately while triple zero (000) was called.
Ambulance paramedics from Grenfell Station attended the scene where the woman was then transported to Grenfell’s Lawson Oval in a stable condition before being transferred by Air Ambulance to Orange Base Hospital for precautionary observations.
Grenfell Station Manager, Andrew Noble said “It was fortunate that the pressure bandage was applied almost immediately, this stopped any venom from rapidly moving through the patients blood stream”
“We ask that residents stay vigilant and keep an eye out for snakes, in the event of being bitten they should apply a pressure bandage and contact 000 immediately” said Mr Noble.
There is a larger than usual volume of snakes about this season due to receding flood waters, please see below for information on what you should do in the event of a snake bite:
*STAY CALM and phone 000 immediately * If you have a pressure bandage apply it to the wound and then wrap it up the limb no tighter than you would do if you had sprained your ankle * DO NOT touch the snake *If the bite is not on a limb apply pressure direct to the site of the bite * Keep still and try to avoid walking * Do not cut or exercise the wound and DO NOT apply a tourniquet as this may complicate the injury * DO NOT suck the wound.